European Travelers, Explorers and Archaeologists in Serabit el-Khadim:
Since the 18th century, the ancient mining sites of South Sinai have been visited by travelers and archaeologists. The temple of Hathor in Serabit el-Khadim has been discovered by Niebuhr in 1762. Other travelers and archaeologists have visited the ancient mining spots in the South Sinai region such as Ricci in 1828, Lepsius in 1845, Palmer in 1869, Weill in 1904, Petrie in 1906, and Barrois in 1932. The documentation and research carried out by these archaeologists, travelers and explorers is still considered a basic and indispensible reference for the study of the ancient Egyptian mining spots of South Sinai.
For example, the Inscriptions of Sinai by A. Gardiner and T. E. Peet in 1955, is still considered to be one of the main sources for the study of the ancient Egyptian mining in South Sinai as this volume has listed and translated most of the texts left by the miners in Serabit el-Khadim and other sites in South Sinai as well. During the second half of the 20th century, archaeologists like Valbelle, Chartier-Raymond, Mumford and Tallet carried out work at sites in Sinai. The archaeological evidence of South Sinai shows how intense the mining activity was during the Old Kingdom, in Wadi Maghara and Wadi Kharig and during the New Kingdom, in Wadi Maghara, Serabit el-Khadim, Bir Nasb and Wadi Abu Gada.